Thursday, March 31, 2011

American Idol (We know!! 2 go home, no more magical saves this season...)

I assume we've all gotten over the magical and miraculous SAVE from last week. Yes, I like that the judges actually HAVE a save, and I think they did the right thing by using the save on Casey, but I don't need to be hit over the head with that information every 5 minutes or so. Move it along people.

Does anyone else like Scotty? I actually like SOME country music - not the over-commercialized crap that is played on today's radio. That is the industry's version of pop sounding country 'hits'. Doesn't matter if you can sing as long as you look good and sell CDs. You know what I mean so I'll stop the rant now. BTW - Scotty sings better than most of the males currently getting radio time. And I loved that he played the guitar and had a shout out to Grandma. There's nothing wrong with that!!

Naima and a reggae version of 'I'm still standing'. Ugh. Horrible. Bottom 3 for sure.

Paul did 'Rocket Man', and while it was okay, I still think he could have upped his voice a little. Quirky is fine, but he sings so soft sometimes. Can't anyone tell him "Hey dude, speak up a little. We can't hear you in the back."

Pia sings another ballad. “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.” Great. Thanks. Next!!

Stefano sings 'Tiny Dancer'. Why did Jimmy let him sing that? Don't they want the best for the contestants? I would have told him it sounds horrible and to pick another song. But that's just me. I'm glad he kept his eyes open for most of the song. Big improvement there. My daughter's fave, but sorry, he's in the bottom 3 also.

Lauren picked 'Candle in the wind'. It was pretty good. I liked the little bit of twang she threw in there. She won't be in the bottom 3 for sure.

Next up is James singing “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting.” I, too, was worried about him running around the stage and being in the crowd. This usually doesn't produce a very good vocal, but for this song it was alright, since it's more of a feel good tune. James looks very comfortable on the stage. As long as he doesn't get a big head I think he will stick around for a while. My husband and I had to explain the 'Pepsi moment' comment to our daughter. She didn't know Michael Jackson caught on fire once. (I think that was the beginning of Michael's demise.)

Thia chose 'Daniel'. I don't think this was a good song for her. I don't think explaining how to connect with a song to a 16 year old works very well. Another ballad. Another boring and smiley performance. It just didn't work for me. Another bottom 3 choice for me.
Totally OT but needs to be said. I call Thia Megia 'Julia Guglia'. You know, from The Wedding Singer. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. I just think it's funny that the first and last names rhyme. Kinda silly, I know.
Robbie: I don't even know your last name.
Glenn: It's Guglia. (pronounced Gulia)
Robbie: Guglia? Oh, so Julia's last name's gonna be Guglia. Julia Guglia!
That's funny!


Casey gets a (badly needed) trim and sings 'Your Song'. Good choice for this week. Something safe and not so far out there that he gets booted (again). I like that he sat and sang, even though it looked like it was killing him not to get up and throw himself around the stage. Pull it back in and show the voters that you deserve to be here.

Jacob sings “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word,” overly dramatic as usual. Did anyone expect less? I think the fog on the stage cued up the drama.

Haley is last and sings “Bennie and the Jets.” It's actually not too bad. Good vocals this time, but she looks like a lounge act sitting on the piano at the beginning. Kudos for managing to slide off the piano and not fall flat on your ass. That would have been embarrassing.

So, bottom 3 is Naima, Stefano, and Thia.

No comments:

Post a Comment